It really makes me sad that so many women think being “single” is the most terrible thing in the world. Whether it’s society, your family, your age or your desire to have children; there always seem to be factors pushing you into a relationship. Because of all the pressure others put on us (intentionally or not) so many women dive into relationships, marriages and babies with the wrong people all to do “what’s expected.” When I was in my 20’s I can’t tell you how many times I heard “you have plenty of time!” At the time I wish I really believed what people were saying but of course, I didn’t and had to make my own mistakes in order to really get it through my head. I’m sure you can relate. 😉
Luckily, through a lot of trial and error; my entire mindset on being single has drastically changed. I now understand that you must learn to know and LOVE yourself BEFORE you can attempt to be in a healthy relationship. Wanna know a secret? Getting to know yourself is actually tons of fun. I have lots to share on the topic and plan on sharing more in the coming weeks but let’s start with some reasons to embrace and actually love being single:
1) First of all, you’re obviously not settling because you’re single so kudos to you! Single > Settling
2) You have all the time in the world to expand your social circle or nurture the friendships you already have
3) You have all the time and freedom to take that class or try that activity you’ve been putting off
4) You can have a dance party in your house or bedroom (in your underwear if you should so choose!)
5) You can call, text and email ANYONE you want
6) You can stay in or go out on the weekend
7) You don’t have to tolerate having people around that you don’t want (i.e. his annoying friends)
8) Instead of one date night; you could have seven! Ha!
9) You can have male friends without any grief
10) You have time to read – fill your mind with positive messages; I highly recommend Mandy Hale’s “The Single Woman” or “I’ve Never Been to Vegas but my Luggage Has”
11) You can adopt a pet
12) You can blare any music of your choice throughout your house as you’re getting ready
13) You can travel
14) You can feel content in knowing that you can take care of yourself
15) You can marathon shows of your choice
16) You can continue getting to know yourself and that my dears is the beginning of a lifelong relationship that never ends!
17) You can take care of yourself; financially and emotionally; no one can compete with that
18) You can spend the holidays wherever you choose without other obligations
19) You can learn to be comfortable in your own skin; if you’re not already
20) You can see all the chick flicks you want!
I feel like I could go on and on, but the reality is that being a single woman is kind of awesome! To have complete autonomy over your life is a beautiful thing! You just never know what or who is around the corner. You could meet “him” next week and your whole life will change from that moment on, so why not enjoy the now? The now is where the magic happens. Love yourself enough to hold out for the right time and the right person. You’ll most definitely realize what’s meant to be will always find a way and in the meantime you should just enjoy being awesome YOU!
Hugs and Loves,
Wishes for the Soul