Dear Brand new college student,
You’ve just embarked on a brand new chapter of your life. For some of you; it’s your very first real taste of freedom as an “adult.” I’m sure it’s invigorating, exciting and a bit scary all at the same time. I can remember my first days at The University of Arizona being in classes with 200 other students and thinking, well this is definitely not high school anymore! Ha! As you start this new journey here’s some advice from me to you:
1) Enjoy each and every experience; yes even dorm living, especially during your freshman year of college. You may think 4 years is a long time, but trust me it goes by in a blink.
2) Be open to meeting new people. People travel from all over to attend colleges. You could meet some of your lifelong friends during your college years.
3) Make your school work a priority. I know it’s not always going to be fun or liberating, but you won’t always be a student so be the best student you can be. It’ll be worth it.
4) Get involved with as many clubs etc. that you can. The more involved you are; the more you’ll meet new people and also get to know yourself better in the process.
5) Enjoy eating all the Chik Fil A, McDonalds and whatever other “healthy” options they have on campus. There will come a day when you simply can’t eat that stuff without putting on some pounds.
6) Have fun and party! College parties are tons of fun and are definitely part of the college experience. Please just be careful and cautious; not every single person you meet will have your best interest at heart.
7) Keep in touch with your high school friends; I’m sure they’ll have stories to share of their college experiences as well.
8) Stay in touch with your family and don’t forget your roots. Your family is overjoyed for you during this time of your life, but they also want to be a part of it too!
9) Don’t get tied up in a relationship. This is the best time of your life to explore and discover who you are. You will have your whole life to be dedicated to a relationship. Take this time for you and only you. You deserve this time.
10) There may come a time where you may feel like giving up on this whole college thing. Don’t! 4 years is such a short time of your life to dedicate to yourself.
The moral of the story is that this is going to be one of the most fun, challenging, sometimes confusing yet awesome times of your life. Take it all in. Believe in yourself every step of the way. There are people in your corner rooting for you!
Wishing you much success,
Wishes for the Soul
Dedicated to my little sis: Jenna Orozco, freshman at Northern Arizona University